Saturday, June 18, 2016

Summer Chore Chart

To say I like to be organized is probably a bit of an understatement.  Those of you that know me personally, are definitely shaking your head in agreement right now.  :)  I like to plan, I like things neat and tidy, and am not ashamed to say I'm a "little" OCD about it.  But the summer months are meant to be lazy and relaxing.  Having said that, however, there is still laundry, dishes, and all the other household chores that never seem to go away no matter what the time of year is.  Plus, we try not to let the kids fall into the "Summer Slump" and get out of the groove, so to speak of learning & keeping their little brains active.  So a couple of years ago, with the aid of Pinterest, I created a way for the kids to help out around the house as well as do a few learning activities as well.  Because let's face it, when they are home all day things tend to go a little awry and this Mommy would rather be making memories than cleaning up messes.

So behold our 2016 Summer Chore Chart!



I created one for both L & B with certain jobs specific to them as well as generalize chores for both kids.  They have worked great for the last 2 summers and have helped me out immensely so that we have more time to play.  The rule is that all chores must be done before they can go outside, etc.   Each morning all the flaps are pulled down and as they complete the task, they flip it up until all their chores are complete.  Like I said I got this idea off of Pinterest, so you may have seen something similar but just in case you are interested in creating your own here's the steps I used to design ours.

Supplies Needed:

  • file folders (one for each chore chart)
  • adhesive Velcro
  • scissors/ paper cutter
  • adhesive magnets
  • glue or adhesive tape runner (I used my scrapbooking one)
  • numbers & list of chores (I created a document in Word using clip art to jazz it up a little)
  • letter stickers (optional, if you want to "monogram" your chore chart)
  • clear packaging tape (not pictured)

First, you trim down the file folder to your desired size.  Keeping it folded, I made ours 6" high by 11 1/4" long.  Then, you unfold the file folder and measure out your desired length for each chore strip.  I chose 2 1/4" for each.  Using my paper cutter, I cut each strip making sure to only go as far as the natural crease in the folder.  (Again, make sure that your fold is open during this step.  You do not want to cut through both sides, just the one with the jobs listed.)


After I cut the strips, I used clear packaging tape to re-enforce and protect the fold and to make the flaps stay open when not completed.  Trim off any excess tape & carefully re-cut the top of the slits that get covered in tape so that the flaps can still full open and close.



Next, cut out your numbers and chore labels.  I used my scrapbooking adhesive to attach them to the file folder as shown below.  You could also use glue, if that's easier for you.



The next step is to attach the Velcro.  I cut pieces off of a strip I had left over from a previous project, but you could also use the Velcro Dots as well.  I would recommend placing the "non-fuzzy" side at the bottom of the pre-cut flaps.  The best way that I found to make sure that the two pieces line up correctly is to remove the backing of one side at a time, place it in the desired spot THEN remove the other piece of backing, folding up the flap, and pressing down to secure.  This is a simple way to make sure the 2 pieces of Velcro match.  (I told you I had OCD, right!?!)




One of the last steps is to attach the magnets to the back.  So that it will hang correctly, make sure to place the magnets on the top of the uncut part of the file folder (the side with the numbers on it).  Believe me, I double checked mine before sticking them down.  


Then, there is nothing left to do but monogram them, so to speak.  I used stickers that I had in my scrapbooking stash.


Ours hangs on the fridge so that they are easily seen & a friendly reminder of what still needs to be done.  Obviously, you can customize your chores to best fit your child's ages and your family's needs.  



All in all, I had everything I needed for this project on hand.  But regardless, it is an inexpensive craft to make that has saved me countless time & energy in getting the kids to complete their chores.  This makes for one happy Mommy!!  

When it looks like this, our work is done & it's time to play!  


Until next time....

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment