Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Life & Comfort Food Made Easy - Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham + the New Wal-mart Online Grocery Pick-up

If your family is anything like ours... the evenings are filled with activities, practice, meetings and homework.  As much as it saddens me to say it, we only get to sit down for dinner as a family a few nights a week anymore.  In the past, we would often hit a near-by drive thru to pick up a quick meal in between drop offs.  But when this school year started, I made a vow that we would be better about eating more meals at home.  However, it's still difficult when we are often not all home at the same time to eat.  So enter the trusty, reliable, always ready when you are ~ Crock Pot!  I am a meal planner.  Which basically means, I sit down each week and look at our schedules then plan meals according to what we have going on that night.  I make my grocery list and thanks to the new Wal-mart free online grocery pick up, have my grocery shopping completed in no time.  If you have yet to try this service, I highly recommend it!!  Go to Walmart.com and open a free account.  From there you simply shop for the items that you need and add them to your cart.  This can be anything from perishables to non-perishable items.  Once you have completed your order, you choose a pick up time that best fits into your schedule.  I like to place my order the night before and set my pick up time for right after the kids go to school, that way it's done before my day even officially starts.  :)  You pull into the designated parking spots in the lot and call the number on the sign.  Tell the associate what number lane you are in & within a few minutes ... they bring your groceries/ items out directly to your vehicle.  It's amazing!  Not only has this saved me a HUGE amount of time, but has cut our grocery spending in about half because I am no longer impulse buying as I meander up and down the aisles.  (I really didn't need that extra package of chocolate chip cookies anyway!)  


Growing up, I'm sure we all have fond memories of those favorite comfort foods that mom use to make... mine was always Scalloped Potatoes and Ham.  Yum!!  However, when you add in the factor of our busy nights, I completely forgot about this dish due to time constraints.  So when I found this Crock Pot recipe on Allrecipes.com , it quickly became a regular staple at our house.  It's so easy to make, budget friendly and ready to eat no matter what time one of us lands long enough to grab a bowl.  


Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped cooked ham
  • 1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper

Place chopped potatoes in a Crock Pot (use a liner for easy clean up).  In a medium bowl, mix together shredded cheese, onion, and ham.  Mix with potatoes in the slow cooker.  Mix together cream of mushroom soup and water.  Season to taste with garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Pour evenly over the potato mixture.  Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.  


I hope your family enjoys this dish as much as we do!  

And with that I am off to tackle that ever growing pile of laundry that has been staring me in the face as I type this.  Why hasn't anyone created an app for that yet???  :)

Have a great day!!

XOXO
N


1 comment:

  1. Niki, I’m trying this recipe tonight. It sounds delicious. AND… for your laundry app, I’ve an answer. As a young mother, I had read in a parenting magazine that children were capable of doing laundry at age 7, so I started each of my 3 children doing their own laundry at age 7. As they grew up, I never had to do their laundry. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete