Saturday, June 4, 2016

40 X 42 ~ Riding the Ocean Waves of Life

4 months into my life as a 40 year old, I've come to realize that time is too short & precious to waste.  There are so many things that I want to do, see and accomplish that always seems to fall by the wayside with the hustle and bustle of daily life.  I'm sure I am definitely not the first, nor the last to do this, but I decided to create a list of 40 things that I would like to complete by the time I turn 42.  Why 42?  Well, because the list is "a little" ambitious and frankly, I'm not crazy!!  So I am giving myself a realistic time frame to not only complete but enjoy the adventures and projects listed below.  So here it is ~ my very own 40 x 42 list.  




1.  Finish our 50 States Dinners
2.  Train to run/walk a Disney themed Marathon - Completed 1/7/18
3.  Observe sea turtles hatching in their natural environment & head out to sea - Completed 8/10/16
4.  Finish the basement remodel ~ we have lived in this house for 16 years and that area has always been the bane of my existence!
5.  Take dance classes with Honey
6.  Open an Etsy store for scrapbooking, paper products and party supplies ~ this has been a dream of mine for years!
7.  Go ice skating ~  I know this sounds weird coming from a girl who prefers the warm sun & sand to the ice & snow, but I think it will be a fun thing to do with the family
8.  Remodel/Redecorate L's room ~ he is in major need of an upgrade to a teenage style room!!
9.  Have a facial ~ I have always wanted to learn more about skin care & I just happen to have a friend who is an amazing esthetician.
10.  Complete our wedding scrapbook ~ you'd think after 15 years I'd have that one done by now, nope!
11.  Have professional family photographs taken - Completed 8/9/16
12.  Host an amazingly themed backyard party ~ finally put some of those Pinterest pins to good use!
13.  Have a classic movie marathon with Honey: Casablanca, Singing in the Rain & Breakfast at Tiffany's ~ yes, he has agreed to this ahead of time :)
14.  Attend the Nutcracker Ballet - Completed 12/10/16
15.  Redesign our backyard landscaping ~ Honey is thinking a mini beach area, but we will have to see if we can pull it off 
16.  Participate in NAMI walk (National Alliance on Mental Illness)
17.  Create/ Paint a "Masterpiece" at a local art studio
18.  Watch the sunrise on the beach - Completed 8/10/16 and 11/13/16
19.  Swim with the dolphins ~  I can hardly wait for this one!!!
20.  Celebrate Honey's 40th birthday in an extra special way
21.  Attend a Broadway show ~ Phantom of the Opera is my first choice, but I have several on my list to see
22.  Take a vacation to Charleston & Savannah
23.  Take a yoga class
24.  Learn to make the "perfect"  Disney themed caramel apples ~ just like the ones you find at the parks...Yum Yum!
25.  Attend another Florida Georgia Line concert ~ they are our favorite group & we LOVE to see them live!  
26.  Learn how to make TRUE Southern Sweet Tea - Completed 7/23/16
27.  Take a photography class to learn how to utilize the Manual setting on my camera & expand on my current skills
28.  Become a certified ZUMBA instructor 
29.  Spend Spring Break 2017 at Disney ~ no shock here that we are already planning our next trip back - Completed 3/12/17 thru 3/18/17
30.  Learn how to make grits ~we simply cannot move South one day without me not knowing how to make this staple food
31.  Complete the QC Half Marathon ~ even if I have to walk some ... definitely not going for record time, just to cross the finish line
32.  Put $xxx in our savings account
33.  Attend Maks & Val - Live on Tour ~ I am a die hard Dancing with the Stars fan & these two are my absolute favorite professionals!  Not going to lie, when Honey gave me these tickets for Mother's Day, I literally squealed with excitement!  I have the best husband EVER!!! - Completed 7/29/16
34.  XXXXXXXXXX ~ this one is a little too personal for me to post at this time, maybe someday.  But I will say, it is the one I am working the hardest to complete  
35.  Try one new food a week ~ this correlates to #34    
36.  Remaster the ability to French Braid hair ~ I do not have a working tendon in my left thumb due to a not smart moment on my part, so the dexterity is not there.  Therefore, braiding and a lot of other fun hairstyles for Miss B & myself have proven difficult. 
37.  Pay it forward/ Not-so-Random-Act of Kindness ~ We have always wanted to do something for those less fortunate to show/teach the kids the value of the things they have and to remind them the importance of helping others when they can.
38.  Finish organizing the kitchen pantry closet ~ I started it about 8 months ago & it drives me crazy that I haven't completed it as of yet.  The ideas are all there, I just need to do it.
39.  Re-read and watch the Harry Potter books & movies as a family ~ there may be a hidden agenda behind this one.  I would love to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Orlando, but it doesn't seem right to go without everyone knowing the back story behind what is sure to be an amazing experience!!
40.  Celebrate the accomplishment of completing this list in style!

SO there it is ...  some big, some small.  Some more challenging than others.  Some just simply for fun, while others take on a more personal and intimate meaning.  I expect to learn a lot about myself along this almost 2 year journey, but isn't that the point?!  I look forward to sharing with you my progress as time goes on & am able to check things off the list.  Who knows maybe this will inspire you to create your own list, if you haven't already done so. Time to get out there and get my toes wet, so to speak ... the Ocean is calling, so let's get started.



XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment