Friday, December 16, 2016

There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays

I love decorating for the holidays!  I love how warm and cozy the house feels.  It definitely puts us all in the Christmas spirit.  My favorite thing to do first thing in the morning, before I wake the kids, is turn on all the lights.  For me, it's such a peaceful (and beautiful) way to start the day.  











The stockings were hung on the banister with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there...



We had stockings similar to these growing up, so it only seemed fitting to me when I started my own family that I carry on the tradition.  I cross-stitched each of the names on them, while my mom pieced and sewed the rest to create the actual stocking itself (just as she had with the ones we had as kids).  You can truly say they were stitched with love.  :)



A few years ago we removed our old-fashioned fireplace to create more space in the living room.  But then as the holiday season came around, the kids were concerned that Santa was not going to be able to make it into the house anymore since we didn't have a chimney.  :( Hence, by the front door, we have "Santa's Key".  That way he is still able to enter the house on Christmas Eve.  It's funny though, as the kids get older, they ask A LOT more questions.  :)  Just recently, a friend of our daughter asked, "But how does Santa get the key when it's INSIDE the house?"  (Ummmm...)  The parents all looked at each other (smart little thing, she is!).  I simply replied, "Christmas Magic".  She shrugged her shoulders and said, "OK." (Whew!!)



It's hung below this gorgeous hand-stitched framed piece that we received as a wedding gift. It's absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite decorations to put out each year.




Our living room is home to what we have deemed the SECOND largest tree we have ever had.  The title of First Place goes to the tree we had the year I was pregnant with Miss B.  It literally spanned the entire width of our bay window.  We called it the "pregnant tree". (fitting ~ considering my state at the time)  But the beauty of having such a large tree is that we are able to put up most, if not all of our Christmas ornaments.  This year I am happy to say they ALL made it on the tree.  Each one holds such a special memory or place in our hearts that is is always difficult to decide which ones don't make the cut, so to speak.  I even tried my hand at the "flowing ribbon garland" trick that has been so popular the last few years. I'd say it turned out pretty good for my first try.  :)  You may also notice the random pillow sitting in the center of the room...well...our Elf "JJ" and his new pet "Zoey" decided that they were going to have a movie marathon the night before.  They made quite a mess with all the Christmas movies that I had to clean up before taking this picture.  :)






If it isn't already obvious, I love holiday decorations!  So several areas throughout the house, get their usual decor switched out for something a little more festive.




We have continued on with our 25 Days of Holiday Books tradition.  With all the hustle and bustle of activities, especially this time of year, it's a great way for us all to sit down, unwind, and read together as a family.  All snuggled up on the couch...it's honestly my favorite part of the day.




One thing I can't bring myself to put away, if even just for the season, is the pictures of the kids. So the past couple of years, they have found a home on top of our entertainment stand decorated with garland and bling.  You can NEVER have enough sparkle, in my mind, this time of year.  :)



The coffee table got an upgrade in decor this year with these fun little pots that we found at the greenhouse where we get our Christmas Tree.  Originally the "Joy" was a rustic brown color, so I covered it up with a little silver glitter paint and Voila!  You will have to excuse the "sad looking" poinsettia on end.  I'm not quite sure why he isn't blossoming with holiday spirit like the other two....???






As you can tell, my color scheme is red and silver... which carries over into the dining room as well.







If you have read my blog before, you are aware that I am not a fan of birds.  However, this one is special.  A cardinal is a representative of a loved one who has passed.  It is said that when you see one it means that they are visiting you and that they will always be with you. Many of you may know that I recently lost my father very suddenly.  This is my way keeping him close during the holiday season.  




We re-purposed this vintage door frame last year and it has quickly become one of my favorite decorations.  Behind the glass, you see three frames.  Each one signifies the kid's first Christmas with a picture and a hand print to commemorate the occasion.  In the picture, is a "Little C", a "Little L", and a very "Little Miss B" with Santa.  Little did they know that under that bright red suit, fluffy white beard and spectacles was their very own Grandpa.   He did the most amazing job and I am blessed that each of my children's very first visit with Santa was with him.  It's a memory that we will all hold near and dear.




Here are a few other decorated nooks and crannies around the rest of the dining room and kitchen area...








My Happy Everything plate from Coton Colors is sporting it's Christmas Tree attachment.



Honey had the most amazing Advent calendar growing up made, again, with love by his mother.  A couple of years ago, we were all given one of our own, also made by her, to have in our homes.  I think it's not only important but extremely special to carry on these traditions that we had as kids to our children as well.  They look forward to putting up a new ornament every day, just as Honey did many years ago.  :)



There are decorations all throughout the house, including some new Coastal inspired ones in our new basement (to be shown at a later date), but I will leave you with the trees and decorations that adorn the kid's rooms.  They love having their own little trees as well as a few "nutty" friends who visit as well.  :)







Happy Holidays!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment