Thursday, August 7, 2014

DIY Soccer Flip Flops

For the last 5 years, L has been playing soccer with our local park board.  It's been a joy to watch him grow and improve as a player.  He would be the first to tell you that the highlight of his "career" to date, was the game where he scored a "Hat Trick" (3 goals in one game).  I don't think the smile left his face for a week!


He was also extremely lucky to get an amazing coach.  :)  One who not only taught him the fundamentals of the game but passed along his passion for the sport itself.  A coach that was with him throughout his entire playing experience... his Dad. 




So being the Soccer Mom that I am, I wanted a way to show my support.  What better way than with a new pair of shoes.  :)  



These DIY Soccer Flip Flops were a breeze to make and I think they turned out pretty cute! All you need are a pair of flip flips (I got mine from Kohls), soccer ball iron-ons, white thread, glue gun and of course, BLING!


First, I cut the soccer balls in half.  


Next, take one of the halved pieces and trace & cut out a pattern.


Reverse the paper pattern so that the rounded edge matches up with the cut side of the soccer ball half.  (It sounds more complicated than it is.  :)  The picture shows it better. Then cut the paper pattern by using the soccer ball as a guide.  This is will create your petal pattern.



Using the paper pattern, cut around the soccer ball halves to create the petals.  I recommend using a sharp scissors to get a clean edge.




To attach the petals to my flip flops, I laid the first three in a "Trinity-like" pattern.  


Then used a dab a of hot glue to secure the petals to the straps of the flip flops temporarily. This makes it easier to keep them in place while I added the remaining two petals, also with a bit of glue.




My first thought was that adding more glue to secure them would be enough, but if you have ever set foot on a soccer field you'd know that the field is often wet and muddy.  So my mom suggested a few hand stitches would do the trick.  She has also been my lovely hand model for the previous pictures.  :)





Finally, the BLING!!  I chose a rounded stone because I liked the look.  But you could use any shape that you prefer.  I purchased mine at Michaels in the scrapbooking section.  


They are stickers but I attached them to the center of the flower with more hot glue to secure.  And TA-DA!  The perfect accessory to show my support for my little Soccer Stars.  :) I say Star(s), because Miss B has decided that she will be following in her brother's foot steps and starting to play in the fall.  


Can't hardly wait for the season to start!!  Oh I almost forgot to mention that Honey will be coaching B's team as well.  :)  This time it will be an all girls team, where it was co-ed in the past.  Should be fun to watch!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment